The OpenAthens Federation provides a framework that supports the exchange of information between identity providers and service providers operating in the global market.
Aims and objectives
To provide a framework that supports the exchange of information between identity providers (IdPs) and service providers (SPs) operating in the global market, regardless of what identity and access management software they are running.
It is the responsibility of each member to ensure the following:
- That they behave themselves properly and in accordance with the aims, objectives and rules of the OpenAthens Federation, and in a way that does not adversely affect any other member
- That any information provided to other members is accurate and up to date
- That they follow the technical requirements and recommendations outlined in the technical recommendations section of this documentation.
In addition, members shall permit OpenAthens to retain and publish the metadata described in the Federation Metadata section of this documentation.
Members shall permit OpenAthens to publish members names for the purpose of marketing the OpenAthens Federation.
OpenAthens retains the authority to administer the Federation in its aims, objectives and rules as may from time to time be published.
What would you like to learn about next?
- About federation and federated access management
- Joining the OpenAthens federation
- Technical recommendations
- Best practices
- Federation metadata
- OpenAthens IdP elements
- How to add the OpenAthens federation to common SP software
- Standard attributes in the OpenAthens federation
- WAYFless access and deep linking in the OpenAthens Federation