Like most federations, we have some extensions in the metadata. These do not affect the transfer of users to resources, but can be used for reference - for example if you wanted to display an organisation name for a logged-in user, you would reference the metadata for the name represented by their scope rather than trusting that what's in your records won't ever change.
The extensions in the OpenAthens federation are:
- <shibmd:Scope> - A list of scopes associated with an entity. Can be a regular expression if stated. Always at least one.
- <oaf:ScopedUIInfo> - Defines the <mdui:DisplayName> to associate with a given scope.
- <mdui:DisplayName> - The display name of the entity
- <mdui:Description> - A description of the entity, generally the same as the display name
- <mdui:Logo> - Organisation logos as base64 encoded PNG images (where present)
- <mdui:DiscoHints> - Discovery helpers such as email domains and Geolocation
- <mdui:DomainHint> - Email domains (where present)
- <mdui:GeolocationHint> - Latitude, Longitude pairs (where present)
If you're using these to build your own WAYF that covers consortia organisations such as NHS England, where there are many scoped organisation units under the same entity then you would want to use name elements in the following order:
- Otherwise use
- Otherwise use
OrganizationDisplayName(standard metadata, not an extension)
Within the same entity it is safe to de-duplicate names as the entityID is the same but we cannot guarantee that duplicate or similar names will not appear under different entities so you will need to code for that.
See also: Wayfinder - our universal WAYF service