18 December 2019
Minor changes and bugfixes (publisher dashboard)
- [CSP-2181] - The ACS index value from external apps' metadata was not honoured
- [CSP-3680] - Error handling within modals could lead to changes being committed by the cancel button
16 December 2019
Minor changes and bugfixes (Wayfinder)
- [WAYF-220] - Hidden organisations made visible by debug mode are now marked as such
- [WAYF-256] - Searches including certain non-latin characters could cause an error
- [WAYF-258] - Searched containing too many characters could cause an error
- [WAYF-351] - Searching via email address was not working for some SP entities
25 September 2019
Minor changes (Wayfinder)
- [WAYF-179] - The order of remembered organisations could be inconsistent in certain circumstances
- [WAYF-250] - The embeddable version of Wayfinder did not display long organisation names well
7 August 2019
- [CSP-3542] - The accounts menu item and the signout button have moved: dashboard accounts are now accessed via the cog, and sign out is via the user's name. Both in the top right.
1 July 2019
- Support for OpenAthens SP ended
- OpenAthens SP will stop working on or around 29 May 2020 - See OpenAthens SP end of life notice
28 June 2018
Updates to support the certificate store change happening on 21 September
|Java||2.1.2||Maven: Change version number in POM and build|
|.Net||No change required||Uses windows certificate store|
|Released on||21 September 2017|
|Released on||22 June 2017|
- [CSP-1241] - SAML discovery service support has been added for OASP.
|Released on||28 March 2017|
- [CSP-775] - Healthcheck request was causing a nullpointer error
- [CSP-776] - Unavailable IdP entities could cause the Additional IdP page to hang
- [CSP-805] - Updated syntax check on the redirector's tokenised access URLs to not require http(s):// at the start.
- [CSP-881] - Improved certificate checking to eliminate false positives from the error display
- [CSP-878] - Saving updated redirector syntax could fail
- [CSP-957] - Include the service desk's test domain in the OpenAthens SP config until it is made live
- [CSP-970] - Provide audit information per application / connection
|Released on||22 November 2016|
Major new features
|New publisher dashboard||All SPs||Documentation: Publisher dashboard reference guide|
|Rewritten SP documentation||All SPs||Rationalised and simplified to work alongside the new publisher dashboard|
|Simplified OASP configuration including automatic configuration of OpenAthens federation||OpenAthens SP users|
|Simplified OpenAthens federation configuration||All SPs|
|Faster updates to OpenAthens federation metadata||All federation users||Rrather than waiting up to 24 hours, updates are now live within 15 minutes|
|Old federation dashboard no longer available||No one|
|Old SP dashboard no longer available||No one|
|Released on||19 July 2016|
- OASP-235 - Cached metadata is no longer shared between web applications on the same server. Each web application now has its own metadata cache.
- OASP-20 / OASP-48 - Java OASP no longer requires the variant and version to be specified when updating.
- OASP-65 - Query strings now supported on Java OASP.
With the introduction of support for query strings (OASP-65) the memory footprint increases if multiple web applications are present on the same server. It is recommended that customers who support this configuration confirm that the server has adequate resources available.
|Released on||20 January 2015|
- Control permissions for managing configurations
It is now possible for an administrator to control which other users in an organisation can edit or update a configuration.
- Support for multiple administrators from a single organisation
Administrators can now create additional users in their organisation, provided they are one level below the domain administrator
- New advance options added to make SAML profiles configurable
There are now additional configuration options for SAML profiles, including ability to set SAML versions. Any new configurations that are created will not support SAML 1 & 2 Artifact by default.
- OpenAthens federation added to list of available federations
Minor change to add the OpenAthens federation to the drop down list of federations when managing configurations
- Status changes of configurations now dynamically updated
The status of a configuration (Published / Unpublished) is now updated dynamically when the status is changed, removing the need to manually refresh the page
- Single Sign On from SP Dashboard to the OpenAthens Admin Area
When signed in to the SP dashboard, it is now possible to access the OpenAthens Admin Area (For example to change account details) without signing in again
Relevant help pages:
- Federation URLs corrected
Updated the preconfigured list of federation URLs to correct outdated information
- Fixed an issue with autocomplete when configuring a default IdP
Removal of KeyAuthority
The UK access management federation updated their support for the PKI trust mechanism in June 2014. Apache and .Net versions of OpenAthens SP V2.0 required the <KeyDescriptor> to be available. As a result customers using these versions could not use the latest UKfed metadata. OpenAthens SP V2.1 has been updated to address this issue and customers using the .Net and Apache versions no longer need to use the fall back metadata once upgraded
Streamlined metadata management
Unified the namespace for scoped and non-scoped attributes to provide consistency across SAML 1.1 and SAML 2.0
For SAML 1 the scoped attribute that was in the namespace:
will now be in the namespace
Option to use memcached for improved management of memory and cachingThe option to use memcached is now available in the advance settings of the SP dashboard. This provides more efficient performance by storing metadata in memory
Centos 7 as an approved platform
Support for product installations from MAVEN
OpenAthens SP is now available as a MAVEN dependency to make upgrading and installing easier from within a Java project
Downgraded libmemcache to the distro version to avoid conflicts with other packagesInstallation of OpenAthens SP on Apache was showing conflicts with the version provided in version2.0. These conflicts have been resolved by reverting to the distro version
|Released on||20 August 2013|
The specific issues fixed in this maintenance release are all related to the Apache version:
- Updated the sql modules (FreeTDS and MySQL).
- Code changes made so that any values in the non-default group will be treated as input arguments. This is an intermediate fix to allow better control of input arguments. The underlying issue relates to the third party libraries for Free-TDS and MSSQL not working well together.
Changes made to SELinux policies to:
- Allow Httpd to access the '*.so' files in the modules directory. This was previously being done incorrectly in the Atacama-platform rpm.
- Allow the runtime to connect to the MSSQL and MYSQL daemon ports (1433 and 3006 respectively).
|Released on||4 September 2012|
The specific issues fixed in this maintenance release are all related to the Java version:
- Fixed bug so that content type header (text/html) is correctly added to the
builtinpages (e.g /oa/debug, /oa/logout).
- Allowed the behavior of the authReceiverURL dataSource to be
controlled via the web.xml. See for further details.
|Released on||5 August 2011|
The specific issues fixed in this maintenance release are all related to the Java version:
- Fixed bug in signature checking logic when processing SAML2 responses
- Changed session management behavior.
Previously if a user logged in via Identity Provider X and then via Identity Provider Y without logging out, the session would contained a merged view of
the attributes obtained from both Identity Providers.
This has been changed so that attributes obtained from Identity Provider X will be purged, before attributes from Identity Provider Y are added.
|Released on||12 January 2011|
OpenAthens SP 2.0 introduces a number of features designed to make the installation, configuration and management of the software easier, more flexible and more intuitive.
What's new in OpenAthens SP 2.0?
Create new configurations for multiple different websites. Update contact details for your organisation.
Web-based interface for the creation and management of configurations. This allows the configurations for all your sites to be managed and stored in one place. It enables easy migration between versions of OpenAthens SP and your website.
Add support for new federations via the configuration site.
When creating a new configuration a wizard will step you through the process of adding support for multiple identity federations. It is possible to add additional federations later with a few clicks in the dashboard.
Updated Apache module
The Apache module (mod_openathens) has been renamed and updated.
It brings more flexibility and support for the latest versions of Apache. It is the same full-featured, robust platform that is used for OpenAthens LA.
A yum software repository for RedHat/CentOS Linux.
When using the Apache module on RedHat/CentOS 5.x Linux servers, the yum software repository bring simple installation and ensures that software is kept up-to-date. New versions of OpenAthens SP can be installed or upgraded using the same process.
Improved integration with Java environments.
Improved Servlet filter and integration with Java application servers. Improved support for various popular Java servers, including Glassfish.
An all-new .NET framework for integration on Windows platforms running .NET.
Easy integration with .NET applications via a native .NET API and HTTPModule. This brings deep integration with the .NET platform, making it simple to add support for your existing and new .NET applications.