- Changes to your configuration such as names, descriptions, links and endpoints
- The OpenAthens federation metadata refreshes four times per day so updates should take no more than 6 hours to go live. Confirm at http://fed.openathens.net/oafed/metadata
- The resource catalogue used by identity providers in the OpenAthens federation refreshes three times per day so can take up to 8 hours to reflect the change - this includes:
- Names, descriptions and logos
- Redirector and access URLs
- The redirector can take up to 16 hours to reflect a change depending on how the caches stack, but is usually under 8 hours.
- For local applications, changes to additional identity providers (i.e. outside of any connected federation) should take no more than 6 hours to be updated in the metadata.
- These IdPs are only added to the metadata within your domain context - confirm at http://fed.openathens.net/CUSTOMER_DOMAIN/metadata where CUSTOMER_DOMAIN is the scope displayed in your OpenAthens admin area (Go to: https://admin.openathens.net/#Connections:)
- For other federations
- you will need to inform those federations of any changes. They will advise how long it will be before they are live.
- IdPs in other federations will usually recache their copy of the federation metadata daily - there may be a period where they are using your old metadata.
Once any changes appear in the metadata, they are picked up automatically by OpenAthens SP when the cache threshold expires. This is typically daily for federations and every six hours for additional identity providers. External applications are likely to behave in a similar way, but you should check the relevant documentation.
External applications are likely to have a similar process in their documentation.
OpenAthens Keystone rules
Keystone picks up the changes to rules within a few seconds
Changes should usually take effect within 5 minutes (e.g. entity categories, federation membership)
First live publish
When you move from development to live status, the publish button triggers a manual approval process where our service desk will run some checks before confirming the publication. Once approved, the timings above will apply to any future changes.