This section will guide you through the basic installation or upgrade of OpenAthens LA and is aimed at the IT team member who is setting it up to a state where it can be handed over to the library who will be able to configure how it interacts with online service providers.
It is organised into sections so that each part can be easily and separately referenced, as well as contained as smaller blocks of work.
Before you begin you will need:
- An OpenAthens subscription
- A compatible directory of user information including unique user identifiers.
- This is most often an LDAP system such as Active Directory.
- An enterprise class virtual infrastructure to deploy virtual machine images to OR at least one physical server running RHEL/CentOS 6 to install on.
- A colleague in IT with some time
The following assumptions have been made about the person doing the install:
- They are not uncomfortable with the idea of basic command-line work
- They are conversant with your networks, infrastructure and directory (or have ready access to a colleague who is)
- They may be, but are probably not a Linux expert
It doesn't matter whether you install the runtime or the administration console first, but starting with the runtime is common.