This page only applies if you are in the UK Access Management federation and your organisation is signing up to the Student Voter Registration Service (https://www.jisc.ac.uk/student-voter-registration)
If you are part of the Student Voter Registration Service you will want to set up OpenAthens so that your student users can sign in (https://www.studentvoterregistration.ac.uk/index). This page will help you set it up.
- You will need to have set up your logo under Preferences > Domain AND checked that it appears in the UK federation metadata
- If you use restrictive mode you will need to add this resource to the permission set(s) used by your students
- OpenAthens will already release the minimum required to achieve access but the SVR service would like you release some additional personal data about your users (see further down).
A way to check your logo is in the UK federation metadata is to use the REFEDS metadata explorer: https://met.refeds.org
- Enter your whole or partial entityID in the search box (just your domain name is often enough, e.g. institution.ac.uk)
- Click on your entityID in the search results
- If there's a logo it appears below the first table. If you've requested not to be in eduGAIN you may need to change the federation using the drop-down at the top of the page.
You will need to pass them the URLs of the two logos that you have set in the admin area. To form the URL you will need to know two things:
- Your OpenAthens domain - the easiest place to see this is in the redirector link generator - it's the bit in the prefix between the last slash and the question mark - e.g.
- The unique ID at the top of the list on the organisation summary page , e.g. 68421224
The two URLs are formed as:
Optional additional attributes to send for user convenience
As this involves personal information you may like to check with your GDPR compliance team before proceeding.
OpenAthens does not encourage the passing of personal information to third parties, however it is your data and if you are sure you are complying with the relevant policies, regulations and laws, then this is how to send it:
|Attribute||Resource wants it under target name|
|Date of birth |
(using GeneralisedTime format - i.e. YYYYMMDDHHMMSS)
(no spaces - e.g. 'EC1A9BW')
(ISO 3166-1 alpha 2 format - e.g. 'GB')
Release policy updates
No changes are required unless you will be releasing the additional attributes.
- Go to Preferences > Attribute release
- Click the 'Add a resource policy’ button and search for Jisc Student Voter Registration
- Click on the attributes you want to release - e.g. First name, Last name, and email address
- As these probably do not have the required target names, click on advanced and go to the attribute aliases section:
- In the left hand box select the orginal target name (e.g. emailAddress)
- In the right hand box enter the desired target name (see table above)
- When you've set them all up click on Done and then Save at the top of the page
If you don't have fields for the data, you can create them via the schema editor.
If you are mapping the data from a local connection, you will need to map the data to a schema attribute for it to be releasable.