How to recover deleted accounts
If you deleted a user's account by mistake by using the delete button on an account or on search actions, you can recover it for up to 30 days. After 30 days it is permanently deleted.
To recover one or more accounts
- Via search or list, find the account on the deleted tab of the results page.
- Select the accounts you want to recover.
- From the actions menu that appears, choose the recover option.
If the account cannot be found by search or list, you cannot recover it. This usually means it has been permanently and unrecoverably deleted by one of the following:
- The permanent delete option has been used on accounts in the deleted tab of search or list results.
- Accounts have been in the deleted state for 30 days.
- Accounts were automatically deleted after expiry or when not activated
- Accounts were deleted as part of an organisation delete operation
All of these permanent deletion events can happen to accounts that were in the recoverable state.
To permanently delete accounts
Follow steps one and two as above then choose the permanently delete option from the actions menu. This will permanently and unrecoverably purge the accounts from the system.
Anything to watch out for?
When an account is deleted and still showing on the deleted tab you will not be able to re-use the username and in some cases email address until that account has been permanently deleted.
Events such as an unactivated account reaching the delete unactivated accounts threshold will cause the account to be permanently deleted whichever tab it's under.